Launching details   Home    Boat top page

Due to the proximity of trees and the fact that the lake bottom slopes very slowly off from the shore, simply lifting the boat in with a crane was impractical.

The launching approach was was to
-  Lift up the stern with a small crane.
-  Roll a two wheeled buggy under the forward section, where there was a cradle welded to the hull
-  Wheel into the lake like a dinghy, using the lifting boom on a truck.
-  Motor to the other side of the lake where there is an excellent concrete launch ramp.
-  Pull her out, and load on a touch for transport to the Richelieu River.
-  Cut off the cradle, paint the bottom with anti-fouling, install the rudder.
-  Finish a few details.
-  Launch the usual way with a Travel-Lift.

The following pictures show most of the sequence.

The beginning.
There is a cradle welded to the hull just aft of the stack of wooden beams.

The lake is about 25 feet off the bow.

Starting to pick up the stern
Working the buggy forward to its position under the cradle.


Buggy in its final position.

The guy underneath is drilling the cradle to bolt it on.

The next move was for the crane to move towards the boat, rolling it forwards towards the lake.

About two hours up till here, and, pretty easy so far.

Now the fun begins.  The truck and buggy sank into the ground, softened by heavy rain for the previous few days.
The problem was solved, after much effort, pushing things around with the crane boom etc, by running on timbers placed under the wheels.

We are just starting down the slope to the beach.

The grand master looks a bit worried as he juggles the weight and tries to get the truck out of the mud.
Once we got moving, and the buggy was on the harder ground of the beach, the boat started to run away.

You can see the crane pulling back here.

Now we are looking from the lake.  The bow is just visible in the trees
Some progress, but only the guy is wet, not the boat, yet
She is getting wet, for the first time, but the slope is also disconcertingly steep.

By this time, the crane had its wheels in the air.

The white buoy marks a rock that we have to miss.


Getting into the water, but still too steep, and worried about the stem getting stuck on the bottom of the lake.
Things are looking up.

The angle is less, and the bow is rising out of the water.

Better still, but far from floating.

Rather too close to the rock marked by the buoy.

Much better. 

The crane has let go for a few minutes to reposition.

Skipper looks less worried.

Finally afloat.

A bit down by the bow, due to the 800 kg or so of buggy hanging on below.

Drifting quietly beside the end of Fisher's Point.


Moving off into the lake under her own power, but still without a rudder
Now we have a rudder.

(a 2 by 4 and a piece of plywood, tied to the after anchor roller)

Just after this shot was taken, we ran aground in the middle of the lake.

No damage, but embarrassing to hit one of only two reefs in the lake that are far from shore.

Coming into dock on the other side of the lake.
We are out of the water.

Hauling out took about 2 minutes, whilst getting in took a few hours.


Getting from the ramp to the highway was tight, but no problem to the expert driving the truck
All loaded up to hit the highway, with the grand master finally smiling.
No more photos of launching day.  Truck to St. Paul de l'Ile aux Noix was smooth, as was unloading.

Next job to mount the equipment removed to reduce height for trucking and to paint the antifouling.

Then launch to real water, with access to the ocean, and go to install the rig.





Home    Boat top page